A record-breaking 200.5 million Americans are gearing up to watch the Kansas City Chiefs take on the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII. Among the millions tuning in from home, an estimated 9% are set to enjoy the game on brand-new television sets, as reported by the National Retail Federation.
Retailers have traditionally seized the opportunity to promote TVs leading up to the big game, not only to capture increased spending but also to clear out older models in anticipation of new releases in the spring.
Engage3 has delved into the promotional strategies of four top US retailers to uncover which TV brands are taking center stage ahead of one of the most watched sporting events globally.
Sony had the greatest proportion of promotions despite a challenge from TCL and Hisense
Throughout the analysis period, Sony consistently maintained the greatest percentage of its TV range on promotion, peaking at 87.0%. Hisense and TCL posed stiff competition, with their promotional ranges soaring to 85.0% by February 1st, up from 56.3% and 67.1%, respectively, on January 20th.
As Super Bowl fever intensified, major brands witnessed a surge in the percentage of their ranges on promotion, with one notable exception – Best Buy’s Insignia brand, which saw a reduction in promoted TVs by the end of the period.
Amazon promoted a greater proportion of Samsung and VIZIO products
Amazon emerged as a dominant player, promoting a higher proportion of Samsung and VIZIO products compared to its competitors. Amazon’s promotion of 79.3% of its VIZIO range significantly outpaced Target’s 35.3%, while it also boasted the highest proportion of Samsung TVs on promotion, at 75.7%.
However, Amazon’s promotions of LG and Sony TVs lagged behind, with Best Buy and Target taking the lead in promoting these brands, respectively.
Most brands also had an increase in average depth of discount
VIZIO was the only brand that did not have an increase in depth of discount as time went on. VIZIO’S average discount dropped significantly on 28 January 2024 to 13.1%, this was predominantly due to Target introducing new promotions at an average depth of discount of 7.5%.
LG had the greatest increase in average depth of discount at +2.8% to 18.3%. It was Best Buy’s Insignia that had the greatest average depth of discount at 27.5%. It jumped on the final day as Best Buy added 2 new promotions and deepened the discount on 3 more.
Samsung was the most prominent TV brand to shoppers
Promotions will help will the visibility of a brand, but they must also ensure they are prominent on the category shelf, as if I shopper can’t find your product, they can’t purchase it.
Samsung had 6 of the top 10 results on B&H Photo and 7 out of 10 on Target, this included all the top 4 results on both sites. On Amazon, 1P was 70% of the top 10 results with the remaining 30% going to Insignia which was sold 3P by Best Buy. VIZIO beat out Amazon’s own TV to take top spot on the TV category page. On Best Buy, Roku and Samsung had 1st and 2nd place ahead of 3 of its own Insignia listings.
VIZIO has the most comprehensive video content
Once a shopper has arrived at a product page it’s essential that there is comprehensive, accurate content that will ensure the shopper converts into a sale. In Consumer Electronics product videos play a critical role given the typically high item cost and overall, 73% more visitors who watch product videos will make a purchase (Animoto).
We found that VIZIO leading the pack with the highest percentage of listings containing videos, closely followed by Sony. Best Buy emerged as the leader in overall video content, with 92.1% of its range featuring videos.
No one TV brand stands out as a clear winner ahead of the Superbowl
Engage3’s analysis underscores the intense competition among TV brands vying for a share of the Super Bowl windfall. While Sony led in promotional range, Hisense offered the deepest discounts on average, and Samsung dominated shelf visibility. Ultimately, VIZIO stood out for its comprehensive video content.
As the showdown between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers unfolds on February 11th, a fierce competition has already played out in the realm of TV sales, with no clear favorite emerging.